How To Find Weed In D.C.
Already know everything there is about D.C. cannabis?
So, Is It Really Legal to Smoke Weed in D.C.?
Once upon a time in 2014, our nation’s illustrious capital officially legalized the use of recreational marijuana for adults ages 21+. Within the District of Columbia, you can hold up to 2 ounces of cannabis for personal use without a care in the world – and it doesn’t matter whether you are a resident of D.C. or just visiting.
While these may seem like generous terms (and they are), the difficult part is that cannabis is not allowed to be sold in stores in D.C., and it can only change hands as a free gift from one person to another. Due to this restriction, there aren’t any dispensaries anywhere in the District.
So then, you may be asking yourself: how exactly do you get your hands on some of the nation’s finest weed while you’re in DC? Urban Aroma is here to help you navigate one of the most interesting weed economies in the nation, if not the world: The Initiative 71, “gifting” economy. Let us fill you in on the details.
What Does Initiative 71 Allow?
The Legalization of Possession of Minimal Amounts of Marijuana for Personal Use Act of 2014, more commonly referred to as Initiative 71, has some peculiar points about it that any marijuana lover should familiarize themselves with. First of all, the Initiative allows adults 21+ to possess up to 2 full ounces of cannabis in public and consume it on their own private property.
You can also grow up to 6 plants at a time, as long as only 3 of them are flowering at the same time. And if you are caught smoking in public, you will face a $25 fine and confiscation of your marijuana, although you can go to the station and retrieve it back as long as it is under the 2-ounce limit. All of this applies, of course, only to the D.C. municipality – if you wander onto federal property (such as national parks), you are no longer protected.
Strangely, no one is allowed to sell cannabis in the District, they can only “give” it away – and thanks to some long-lasting changes in the federal budget that came along with the Initiative, this guideline will likely be in place for quite some time. Still, loopholes in the Act have been exploited so that you can be “gifted” a substantial amount of marijuana along with your purchase of marijuana-related goods. Here’s how the “gifting” economy works.
What Is “Gifting” And How Does It Work?
Gifting itself is a fairly simple concept to understand. Essentially, a company agrees to sell you a hat, a sticker, a t-shirt, or a piece of art (usually related to cannabis in some way) – and then, as an additional “thank you” for buying their hat for $55, they “gift” you an appropriate portion of cannabis along with your purchase.
Since this is technically a grey area in the law, it works. There are various delivery services and storefronts that work based on this arrangement; call one of them up and you can expect to receive your goods and gift of “green gold” along with it. The only thing you need to make this work is your ID proving you are above the age of 21. You don’t need a medical marijuana card, and you do not even need to be a resident!
The difficult part isn’t so much understanding how “gifting” legally works, per se. The actual difficulty is finding the best gifting services that offer fun products and even more amazing bonuses for their clientele. That’s where Urban Aroma comes in
What About Red Tape?
Of course, you still have to be careful of the letter of the law, even though acquiring marijuana through a gifting service is completely legal and possession is not a crime.
Like, for instance: did you know that about 30% of D.C. is federal land? You’ll definitely want to avoid these areas as marijuana use is still federally illegal. These areas include not only national parks and federal buildings, but also federally subsidized housing.
Additionally, you’ll want to remember that you technically cannot smoke in public, and driving under the influence is strictly prohibited. If you are worried about making sure you can follow these rules, check out the guide to smoking in DC in our blog.
What Can Urban Aroma Do for You?
As mentioned previously, Urban Aroma can help you find gifting services in the DC area with the best reputation, highest quality cannabis presents, prompt service, and a wonderful line of products.
As consumers ourselves, we vet our listed services and recommend the ones that suit your location, tastes, and needs most closely. We try our utmost to never recommend services that will give you vaping cartridges – as these haven’t been proven to be safe.
Additionally, we are not lawyers – nor are we absolutely perfect. Ultimately, we are not responsible for any suspect, faulty, or unsafe cannabis products. At the end of the day, we rely on customers like you to report suspicious or fraudulent activity to us at [email protected] We also ask that you use your best judgment when purchasing products from a gifting service. If something just doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.
We also have information about where you can smoke weed in D.C. because there are parts of D.C. where you can get in trouble if not careful.
So, What dispensaries Does Urban Aroma Recommend?
It may surprise you to hear, after all this talk of NOT selling cannabis, that there are still storefronts where you can be gifted some of the highest-quality marijuana in any of the 50 states.
These include a plethora of gift shops, novelty stores, and souvenir/D.C. theme shops that are very tourist-friendly. While choosing your clothing, souvenirs, shot glasses, and more you can be gifted marijuana. Additionally, there are many other establishments with products ranging from legal services to marijuana pipes which gift great marijuana flower. Here are some of our favorites:
Street Lawyer Services a marketing agency and gifting cannabis storefront all in one! Purchase a coupon for their legal advice, and you’ll be going home with a free cannabis gift.
- Street Lawyer Services a marketing agency and gifting cannabis storefront all in one! Purchase a coupon for their legal advice, and you’ll be going home with a free cannabis gift.
- All American Papers fast, friendly service to the D.C. area.
- The Green Room a great place to get all your CBD needs.
- Funky Piece a great storefront for your cannabis accessory needs that happen to also gift great cannabis. Check out this Adams Morgan gem.
- Wash Hydro we like this gifting storefront because they do a good job explaining Initiative 71 to tourists and newcomers alike. Check out our review of Wash Hydro for more information.
- Cloud 9 Art & Smoke Shop located in the heart of D.C on U street. With the purchase of an art print, you will receive a high-quality initiative 71 gifts.
What Delivery Services Would Urban Aroma Recommend?
If you’re not the touristy type, and you’d prefer for your cannabis gifts to come to you, then your choices are far from limited in D.C. Delivery services can come directly to your door or meet you at a location of your choice.
The best part is the amazing variety of products they offer along with your free gift – some are directly smoking-related, while others are more artistic and add to your overall smoking experience. From clothing to stickers, art and grinders, check out these delivery services for quick and easy flower on-demand:
- D.C. TeaPad pickup and delivery options available.
- Gifted Curators – premium, fast and safe delivery
- Street Lawyer Services a marketing agency and gifting cannabis delivery storefront all in one! They recently started delivery
- Emerald Express pickup and delivery; fast service.
- Green Label Grinders schedule your pickup online with grinders available as your free gift.
- Baked D.C. a great choice for downtown dwellers looking for a delicious cannabis baked treat.
- Illuminate D.C. many gifting options and good online customer service
- Pink Rabbit Collective lots of flower options, great quality.
- DoGooders fast delivery.
- Cloud 9 top shelf, medicinal cannabis.
- Pinnacle Product great for candy edibles.
- District Chiefer quick delivery, nice selection of flower.
- Capital Buds great flower and concentrates.
- Puff Puff D.C. find high-quality flower, concentrates, and edibles here.
- HashApp fast delivery, well priced.
- Hidden Leaf D.C. order online with a group of locals providing good flower.
- Diamond City one of the most popular delivery services in the area.
- Up N Smoke D.C. friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- Spaced Out D.C. pick up some super dope space stickers while receiving your free gift.
- LOCAL’d easy, fast, reliable, and often have sales.
- Select Co-Op find flowers, concentrates, and edibles here.
- Heady Club D.C. online orders, well-made pre-rolls.
- Dope City Supreme they’ll meet you anywhere in D.C.!
- Canamelo beautiful, candy edibles via online ordering.
- Green Kings D.C. high quality gifting flower and concentrates with a friendly staff.
- Bagged Buds daily specials, helpful staff.
So whether you are a local or just passing through our great nation’s capital, and you are wondering where to find weed in DC; let Urban Aroma help you out!