Well, folks, we found a tricky one! Welcome to Portland, Oregon, where weed is legal and illegal. You read right. Let’s go on an adventure, shall we? Ready, set, read!!
How To Buy Weed In PortlandChoose your poison, where you can get a wide variety of weed at any shop, dispensary, or retail store that sells it. Some even offer weed delivery and are open 24 hours.
Is Weed Legal In Portland?According to a Portland travel guide, in 2016, recreational use and possession become legal for those twenty-one years of age and over. You can not, however, sell, consume, or grow it on your own in Oregon. It is still considered a federal offense. This comes from Oregon’s law, Measure 91. Meaning you can only buy and possess weed from a dispensary or retail outlet. Don’t forget that in Portland, you can only have up to a certain amount on you. Here is what you can have:
- 21 and over can have one cannabis flower-dried
- Cannabis edibles - 16 oz
- Cannabis concentrates - 5 grams
- Liquid cannabis - 72 ounces
- Seeds - 10 Cannabis seeds
- Four immature cannabis plants.
What is Measure 91 in Oregon?In a nutshell, Measure 91 is a law that states you can have and consume marijuana within the state of Oregon. BUT, growth, sale, and consumption is still a federal offense. Josephine County produced a case against the state of Oregon, wanting the federal law not to apply. You can also not smoke, vape, or have edibles in public. The case was dismissed, stating it was undermining the rule. If you would like to read further into Measure 91, click here. To sum it all up, weed may be legal to smoke there, but it is still illegal in the Fed’s eyes. It is a tricky and touchy subject, so ensure that you get the area’s information when you visit. Speaking of, let’s move to the following sections to see what you can do!
How Old Do You Have To Be To Buy Weed In Portland?You can not smoke or buy under twenty-one years of age. When it comes to medical weed, every report says the same thing; there are certain cases where docs will consider it for those under twenty-one but under eighteen. No laws have been passed as of yet for anyone under 21. Finger crossed for you, Oregon!
Where Can I Smoke Weed In Portland?Like many places across the country, it’s pretty much the same: private property. No, smoking, vaping, or edibles in public. Yes, this also includes devices that don’t omit a smell. Be sure to check with landlords and each establishment you visit. Some places have smoke lounges! But, chances are, if tobacco isn’t permitted, neither will weed. If you are a visitor to Portland, here are a few guidelines to follow while there.
- You can not:
- Smoke weed or consume edibles while in a public place. This includes sidewalks, parks, arenas, etc. Law says it is a class B felony and can result in a fine of up to $1,000.
- Smoke weed in hotel rooms. Check with your hotel for their rules to make sure to don’t get in trouble.
- Drive or bike under the influence of cannabis. Same as alcohol.
- Take or transport cannabis across state lines or on waterways. (This is a federal offense)
- Possess, own or smoke cannabis — nor own or operate a cannabis business. Ensure you check with local and state laws if you plan on owning a weed business in Portland.