Cannabis 101 // May 12, 2020 // UrbanAroma Staff

Are Cannabis Edibles Safe For Dogs?

Are Cannabis Edibles Safe For Dogs?
Anyone who's ever had a dog has dealt with them eating something they weren't supposed to — whether it was your pooch snatching a steak off a dinner plate, or scarfing a pot brownie. Our furry friends' thieving ways may be amusing and infuriating, but sometimes what they steal isn't good for them to eat. Now that cannabis edibles are becoming more commonplace in American homes, the question is: are cannabis edibles safe for dogs? The answer is: no. The idea of your dog being high might be funny, but THC is toxic for dogs. You should be extremely careful about edibles being left out where a dog can get into them. It isn't poisonous in the sense that there's anything about it that will directly cause death due to something like organ failure. It's more that there is no documented safe dosage for a dog. Because dogs can vary in weight, height, percentage of body fat, etc., there's no way for you to know how much is too much for your canine without experimenting. Another reason that a correct dosage is difficult to determine is due to the fact that dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than we do! This makes the effects of cannabis edibles more potent for them than for us. And if your dog eats a chocolate edible, that's extra worrisome — chocolate is toxic for dogs.

Dog Cannabis Intoxication Symptoms

Many of the symptoms of overconsumption that humans experience also present in dogs. The clinical effects of THC ingestion in dogs can include:
  • depression
  • listlessness
  • loss of motor coordination and balance
  • vomiting
  • hypothermia
  • agitation
  • diarrhea
  • drooling
  • urinary incontinence
  • seizures
In a very few reported cases, THC ingestion in pets has led to coma or death.

How To Treat Cannabis Intoxication Of Dogs

Figure out what your dog ingested — was it a dab you dropped on the carpet, or did he gobble an infused candy? If it was a chocolate edible, get him to a veterinarian right away. Play it safe: Don’t wait for symptoms to start. If you choose to treat your dog at home, give him activated charcoal orally. It’s a good idea to always have some on hand; you can buy it at most drugstores. The activated charcoal traps toxins as they move through the digestive system. Keep your dog warm in a dark, quiet place. Have fluids at the ready if he’s able to drink a little bit. If you treat him at home and he’s not showing signs of improvement, or is getting worse, take him to the vet right away. Be honest with the vet. Vets are not obligated to report marijuana poisoning, and they need to know what’s going on to properly treat your pet. Stay calm. Animals with marijuana poisoning rarely die.

How To Prevent Dog Cannabis Poisoning

You should always keep your edibles in a locked container if you have children or pets in the house. Even storing edibles on a high shelf or in a cabinet may not stop a determined pooch (or kid) from getting to them. We've all seen the YouTube videos of dogs moving chairs to get on the counter so they can retrieve their favorite treats. Keep your stash in a safe place so you don't need to worry about your dog getting high!